Saturday, June 10, 2017

And time flies...

~ You will never be completely at home, because part of your heart will always be somewhere else. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place ~

Hey guys! I'm back!!

In today's post, I am going to talk a little bit about how was my life after my return to Spain. 
Well, I think I cannot say it was a pleasant experience, or at least it wasn't for me. 

It has been almost a year since I left the US, since I lived the best 10 months of my life, and I've been feeling homesick for the last two weeks because of that. Everything started with a "good-bye" from your friends, from your family, from your pets, etc. Then continued with a 26 hours flight and I arrived home. A lot of different "welcome home" meetings with friends and family, a lot of "we have missed you so much!" and "how was everything in the US?". School started and the whole school year was focused on the ABAU exams (a kind of Spanish SAT, that you have to take if you want to get into college).

Starting again in the same high school where you have been already four years, with your friends and new classmates, felt so good, because I felt like nothing had changed, but I was a little bit wrong. Everything changed, and it took me a while to find it out.

When you start your Senior Year after being away, you realize:
1) People have changed.
2) Your life has changed.
3) You have changed.

So when I started my Senior Year, I felt out of my comfort zone. I felt like I didn't have my friends next to me, and it happened because I wasn't starting my last year of high school with my American friends. It was hard to get used again to the rhythm of the classes. It was hard to face some new situations that you didn't expect them to happen, but they did, forcing you to grow up as a person.

People say that the US changed me. But they do not know that my exchange year helped me a lot.

Before I went to the US, I was a person who didn't accept herself. I was very negative and didn't want to accept me. I know it can sound stupid, but that's how it was. 

Going to the US helped me love myself as how I am, without caring if I don't look like a model or if I'm thick. Also helped me see the world with other eyes, and even though I keep being a little bit negative, now I'm able to face a lot of situations that I have never thought I was going to be able to face. I grew as a person. 

This Senior Year taught me that you can know a lot of people, but just a few are your real friends. I lost some friends and met new ones. I got stressed becuase of the exams, because of the lack of time. I just realized how good my life was over there, next to my friends and people who loved me, and how much I miss and need them.


344 days in Spain, and I can't wait to go back to Mount Vernon. I wish I was there right now and spend there another year or the whole Summer Vacation, but dreaming is the only thing that I can do right now, and hope I get a chance to fly there next year.

Squad and little boy, if you read this, I just wanted to tell you that "Good Byes are not forever, are not the end; it simple means I'll miss you until we meet again".

No comments:

Post a Comment