Sunday, August 28, 2016

Bye New York. Welcome back!

~ You build a life in 17 years, leave it for 10 months. Then you build a life for 10 months and leave it forever. Which one is harder? ~

And that is the question that I have been asking myself the last weeks...

On April 28th, I got all my flight information. By then, I knew I was really close to leave America and go back to Spain, and I have to say, that feeling was awful.

When I went to Mount Vernon, I knew it was going to be different: I was going to meet new people, talk English 24/7 instead of Spanish, learn a lot of stuff, etc.

What I did not know was the following...

It is harder to leave the life you built for 10 months than get back to the one you got before.

I've been thinking about how the experience was, and it has been one more experience in my life (it looked like a roller coaster).

This year was not just a good experience because I was living close to the city (New York City)...

This year was special because...

I got the chance to meet a lot of awesome people who became my closest friends. With them, I laughed, I smiled, I had a lot of fun. 

Now that I am back in Spain, I miss my American friends, spend time at school with them, have group calls almost every week, and always enjoy every little period of time to have fun all together... I really miss them, as much as I miss the school.

The school became my second home, my American family. Over there is where you get the good memories, live almost all the time... The school became part of me, and now, it is in my vessels.

But now, let us talk about my journey coming back home and how my first week in Spain was.

A few hours before my flight, two of my friends came over my American house to say good-bye. We spent an hour talking and after that, it was the time to say: see you later! Because it was not a good-bye...




Later, I went to the JFK Airport. I waited there 6 hours for my flight, and once I was in the plane, I got to wait another 2 hours, due to the weather and the big amount of planes that were in the Terminal. But I have to say, that the flight was great.

Once I landed in Madrid, I could not believe that I would have to wait 10 hours for my connection, (I missed the one I had, because of the 2-hours delay in New York...).

After spending a total number of 26 hours on airports and planes, finally, I was home. My parents, sister and maternal grandparents were waiting for me at the airport. It was late and I was really tired, so I went home right the way.



The first thing that came to my mind was: I did it! I was home, with my family, and it was like a dream, which became true...

The following day, I visited my city and hung out with my best friends (two guys who were going to the airport to welcome me). It felt so good be by their side... We spent the whole afternoon talking about our year, playing soccer, and making jokes as always.

A few days later, I got breakfast with almost the whole Spanish squad! We played pool, cards, took some pictures... I got a great time with them. Later, I hung out with the other members of the squad and had fun doing the same things as always: walk, play pool and take pictures.




Now, it is been almost two months since I left the USA, and I just can't believe that a year ago, I arrived in New York... 





I do really miss my American life day by day, but I know I will keep in touch with my American Squad, I would always be accepted by them, and I will try my best to see them again as soon as possible.

So I year ago, I was in the US... Time flies man...

A reminder: you will always miss the life you built in 10 months, and it will always be hard to go back to the "old one". But you won't have the same life as before. Now you will live a different life. A new chapter began a year ago, and now it is time to begin a new one.

America, you will always be part of me! 💙



Love always,

Nereu

No comments:

Post a Comment